Have you ever heard of the “broaden-and-build” theory? If not, here are the highlights: positive feelings and emotions open your mind to all that is and all that could be. With a positive mindset, it’s easier to acquire new skills — to broaden — and to naturally build your personal resources as you go. What’s more, you’ll also build your chances of success — because you’ve broadened skills and built better bonds and resources, the likelihood you’ll get ahead increases dramatically. And it makes sense why.
But that’s just the tip of the iceberg. The research in support of a positive mindset is overwhelming.
- Positive people live longer
- They outperform their not-so-positive counterparts
- They’re better at making decisions under pressure
- They’re more resilient and can bounce back from bumps in the road
- They can better identify solutions when things go wrong
- They’re less stressed
- People want to be around them and want to lend a hand — and that means more opportunities and more possibilities
The list goes on and on.
Think about all of these traits and think about real estate investors — see the overlap? You can’t ignore it. These are traits that can make or break your real estate investing career. Why wouldn’t you want to give yourself the edge? Why wouldn’t you want to give positive mindset a shot?
Positive Mindset is EVERYTHING
If you know me at all, you know how I feel about mindset — it’s everything. Without the right mindset I wouldn’t be here. If living in a van hadn’t knocked me down enough, losing it all when the dotcom bubble burst would have. I might not have had savings and I definitely didn’t have much confidence left, but I hands-down had the right mindset. I had a family that counted on me. I had to succeed, I told myself. I took a breath and I got started.
And I succeeded.
No matter where you are in your personal and financial journey, the right headspace is critical. Without a solid mindset — a positive mindset — nothing else matters. You can have all the resources in the world — you can have all the money in the world — but if you’re not all in and not focused on the possibilities, you’re not going to get much further than the starting block.
The good news, though? Having a positive mindset is totally in your control. You can have the right mindset. You can be positive. You can be proactive. And you can channel that right back into your real estate investing business, and reap endless benefits as a result.
What Positive Thinking Is — And What It Isn’t
So before we dig in, understand this: having a positive mindset doesn’t mean being a chipper, cheerful and always-on person. If you are that person, great! But if you aren’t, keep reading. Every time I talk mindset and positivity at the Nick Vertucci Real Estate Academy (NVREA) at least one student mentally checks out. “I’m not friendly,” they think. “I’m not a people person.” I’ve heard it all. They’re not social, not outgoing, not popular — really, the list goes on. So that’s why it’s important we address what positivity in real estate investing means, and what it doesn’t.
Having a positive mindset means focusing on the good. That can mean having gratitude for successes or looking ahead in a positive, proactive way. No matter what, though, the glass is always half full — you will close amazing deals and make serious profits. You will take control of your personal and financial future. You are good enough, smart enough and strategic enough to get it done — to find, fund and flip those deals. And when something goes wrong you will be able to navigate yourself, your business and your deal toward a positive outcome every single time.
With this in mind, it’s clear anyone can embrace the power of positivity in real estate investing. You could be the most outgoing person on the planet, or the biggest introvert out there. It doesn’t matter — all that matters is that you’re in a positive place mentally and emotionally, and that you bring that positivity to the table every single day. So I don’t want to hear it. I don’t want to hear that you aren’t a people person or don’t care what other people think of you. Because that’s not what this is about. This is about believing in yourself and being resolute in your glass-half-full mentality. Check yourself and get your head in the game — no excuses.
Be Positive — It Always Pays Off
With the right mindset, you’ll notice things naturally fall into place more often than not. Yes, you’ll still have to work — as I’ve said before, real estate investing isn’t about whispering into the wind and hoping for the best.But when you put good vibes into the universe, things start to happen:
- People want to be around you — and that means you’ll find yourself with more opportunities and more people ready to lend a hand when things go wrong (because they will, at some point…)
- You can see more clearly — you aren’t bogged down in the self-doubt and negativity, and that gives you a sharper, crisper view of what’s happening around you and what could be. And that makes you instantly more solution-driven, able to think outside of the box and get the deal done.
- When you know things are going to go right, usually they do — it’s strange, but it’s true. If you don’t give yourself the option to fail, you probably won’t. You’ll twist and turn and reimagine until you get where you need to be. And when you do it will be a nice victory, but you won’t be surprised — because you always knew you’d come out on top.
- You’ll feel better about things — think positive and you’ll be positive. You won’t stress about things falling apart because you feel confident they won’t. You won’t worry about a deal because you know you’re going to figure it out. You’ll be able to take a breath and enjoy building your business. Sounds pretty good, right?
Again, the list is long but you’ve likely got the gist — a positive mindset will transform your business and your life. So if you aren’t there yet, take a breath and dive in. Success awaits.
Putting it Together: Positivity and Real Estate Investing
If you can’t get into that headspace, you’re going to get derailed any time something veers off course. You’re going to get unnecessarily discouraged, and be unable to think outside the box. Negativity narrows your focus in a big way, triggering a survival instincts that shuts down your brain’s ability to see the bigger picture. You’re going to have crippling self-doubt or find yourself easily distracted. Beyond that, though, you’ll find people don’t want to be around you — they don’t want to work with you, don’t want to hear about your latest deal and don’t want to steer business your way. It just happens. And why shouldn’t it? Do YOU want to be around a negative person? I know I don’t.
So the big question — are you ready to think and be positive? We’ll talk a lot about mindset — both being positive and adopting a Real Estate Investor Mindset — at NVREA and at my upcoming workshops and seminars. Enroll for the next class at the Academy or stop by a seminar in your area. Trust me, being surrounded by fellow investors and eager newcomers will get you in the right mindset fast. It’s contagious — the positivity, the enthusiasm and the excitement. If you’re looking for your spark, you’ll find it here. So sign up and see what it’s all about, and get ready to become a positive, proactive investor.